Tuesday, March 29, 2011 | By: Melody Joy King

Kids say and do the most profound things sometimes...

I am the oldest girl in a family of eight children. I started babysitting when I was eleven. I've been nannying/teaching, or working with children since 2003. All of this to say, I've spent a significant amount of time with the youngest among us. I have a long list of some of the most hilarious things they have said to me over the years. I have alonger list of the profound things they have said to me and done in my presence. Today was no excpetion.....
As mentioned in a previous post, my dear friend Larua took on three young foster children a few months ago. They are siblings and were removed from their home as both parents are alcoholics and Daddy is a drug dealer. Abby is 4, Conner is 2, and Alex is 1. (The children's names have been changed for HIPPA/privacy purposes.) For the past few weeks, I have been giving Laura a hand with them, as she has her hands full with her 4 older children, 14, 12, 9, & 6. Every time I show up, I have a grand time with the kids. All three are understandably angry and that anger manifests itself in some ugly ways sometimes. Despite that, these three darlings have captured my heart, and taught me much.
I believe with all of my heart that on more than one occasion, God has used children to speak and confirm truth to my mind and heart. My youngest brother, Joel, is 14 now, and God has been using him since he could talk to teach me more about Himself. God used 2 year old Conner today....Conner's anger manifests itself in the ugliest way out of the three kids. He throws a nasty tantrum most times he is told no. Today he only threw 1 in the 6 hours I was with him. (A small miracle to be sure. :0) He told me today about an hour after I arrived that he really liked me. Each day when I arrive, he and his sister run excitedly for the door and yell "Mel is here!" Never fails to make my day! Today was special though. Conner would be playing and then several times throughout the day he would drop whatever he was playing with, run over to me and give me a hug and kiss on the cheek. He also climbed up in my lap several times and just cuddled with me all on his own....In all honesty, I am not all that different from Conner. I throw angry tantrums in my own way when God says no. Jesus loves me still. Oh that I would have the faith of a little child to trust implicitly that come what may, no matter how many times He says no, my heavenly Father ever, always has my very best interest at heart. He knows that in order to become all that He intends me to be, I must be told no....Oh that I would seek Him out to spend time with Him and express my love to Him several times throughout the day, simply because I long to be near Him and bask in His reassuring presence. God used a mini vessel to teach me that today. A rambunctious, brown-eyed toddler to be precise. God is good.

0 comments: