Wednesday, November 3, 2010 | By: Melody Joy King

Sarcasm

I have never handled sarcasm well. The old addage "If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen." holds true for me. I am the one running for the door. Sarcasm confuses and often times hurts to be honest. I have heard some say that they think it is a spiritual gift, albeit sarcastically. With all due respect, in my limited experience and understanding, I would have to disagree. Sarcasm when expressed at my expense, cuts deeply. I have been told by many to lighten up and just let the words roll off of me like water off a ducks back. I have tried...but to no avail. When I was in college I heard it said that "Sarcasm is destruction dressed up in clowns clothes." At the risk of sounding dramatic, I would have to agree. I am a pretty literal person, not unlike a small child. I would rather err on the side of caution and hold my tongue, then to enter the ring and risk hurting someone with a careless word.

Father forgive me for every careless and hurtful word I have ever spoken. Teach me I pray to speak only that which is kind, edifying, and necessary. Lord, help me to watch my mouth!

Ephesians 5:1-5

Be Imitators of God

1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children;

2 and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.

3 But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;

4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

5 For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.


"...But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give and accounting for it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." ~ Matthew 12:36 & 37

0 comments: